EDI, Electronic Data Interchange - There are a lot of acronyms in
this industry. Definitions for the common ones can be found here.
- ANSI - American National Standards Institute - national
standards organization for the United States.
- AS1 - Applicability Statement 1 - standard defined by
EDIINT for transmitting EDI documents securely using SMTP.
- AS2 - Applicability Statement 2 - provides Secure
Multi-Purpose Internet Mail Extensions S/MIME and uses HTTP or HTTPS
to transmit data over the Internet, allowing communications in real
- AS3 - Applicability Statement 3 - provides secure EDI
transmissions using FTP. This standard is still under
development by EDIINT.
- ASC X12 - Accredited Standards Committee
X12 - Standards defining the structure,
format, and content of EDI business transactions.
- ASN - Advanced Ship Notice, 856 transaction set.
- DISA - Data Interchange Standards Association. Organization
responsible for the administrative duties of the ANSI ASC X12
- EDI - Electronic Data Interchange, the computer to
computer exchange of business documents in a structured format.
- EDIINT - EDI Over the Internet, a working group of the
Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) that develops secure and
reliable business communications standards including AS1, AS2, and AS3.
- EPC - Electronic Product Code - used in conjunction with
RFID implementations, it contains more data than a UPC including
information about the manufacturer, product category, and individual
item (including serial number).
- GTIN - Global Trade Item Number - 14 digit bar code format
used to identify an item.
- Hub - Large organizations that encourage their trading
partners to use EDI. The analogy is a hub and spoke relationship.
- Mapping - The process of defining the standard data
elements in an EDI transaction set and identifying their relationship
to the application data elements.
- RFID - Radio Frequency Identification - a radio transmitter
chip attached to items for purposes of identification.
- Trading Partner - The sending and/or receiving party
involved in the exchange of EDI transmissions.
- Transaction Set - The EDI format for a business document
such as a purchase order or invoice.
- Translator - Software that is used to convert standardized
EDI data to a data format for use by business applications.
- UCC-128 Label
- UCS - Uniform Communication Standard. Standards for EDI
developed by and for the grocery industry.
- UPC - Universal Product Code.
- VAN - Value Added Network. Provides communications
services, store and forward mailboxes, security, and trading partner
- VAN Interconnect - When an EDI transaction passes through
two VAN's to get to the final destination, the connection is referred
to as an interconnect.
- VICS - Voluntary Inter-industry Communications Standards -
ASC X12 standards applied to retail.